Monday 31 December 2012

bluetit stumpwork

So things have been quiet on the blog for a few weeks. This is because I had been working on Christmas gifts and didn't want to spoil the surprise for the recipients!
I made this blue tit for my mum and dad. It is always difficult to decide what to make for people but as my folks enjoy feeding the garden birds and my mum had admired previous bird stumpwork embroideries I decided to go for a bluetit. I think this is one of the best I have done- I painted the background with fabric paints and this time I was very pleased with how it looks. The branch is wool felt with lots of french knots in hand dyed silk thread to give the effect of moss. The bird is a padded slip worked in stem, satin and split stitch.
I couldn't afford to spend a lot of money getting it framed so bought a simple box frame which allows for the 3D nature of stumpwork. I know some people don't use glass when framing embroidery but I don't usually like frames without glass in them- it just looks wrong to my eye!


The good news is that they liked it!

I will do another post soon about another handmade present I made. Maybe 2013 will be the year I manage to blog more regularly!! Happy New Year to you all xxxxxxxx

8 comments:

  1. Looks great! I know what you mean putting glass over textile pieces but I really like the box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely - what a wonderful present!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great bluetit! I love your stumpwork birds and so do my parents who are very avid birdwatchers. They were here over Christmas and were admiring the blue jay of yours that is hanging on my wall

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Lilyshaw and Homerof2. I'm so pleased that you (and your parents) are enjoying the bluejay- he was such fun to do because of his bright colours!
    I really like doing these birds, even though I enjoy trying different styles and subjects I will always keep making stumpwork birds and beetles as well

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you