Sunday 13 January 2013

bee hummingbird embroidery


Bee hummingbirds are the worlds smallest bird- 5-6cm from the tip of their beak to the end of their tail. I made this for jessicakelly for a Phat Quarter swap on the theme of 'tiny'. He may only be small but I packed in loads of different stitches and detail by using only 1 strand of floss.
Playing with scale enabled me to really play around with different stitches. I often try and make my birds as lifelike as possible so it was good fun to get creative with some pattern and I like the effect. I'm not sure how this would work on a bigger scale but it would be interesting to try- the textures would look nice in crewel wool in linen I think.

7 comments:

  1. i love that you made it life-size. been examining all your little fly stitches. ;) thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This could be your most adorable piece ever! Your subject is so teeny and special and your beautiful work definitely does it justice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So tiny and detailed. I have fallen in love with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow , I just pulled out my ruler to gain perspective of your piece - that' an incredible amount of detail in such a tiny area - are you cross-eyed from all that teeny stitching? Joking aside, your work-as always - is positively awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all! I deliberately stitched it to scale but when I was finished I was sure I had made a mistake and no bird could be that small!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa, this is amazing! I can't even begin to imagine working on such a tiny scale! You do some amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this piece so much! Just featured it on the &Stitches blog!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you