Monday 14 May 2012

boxing hares

Hellooo, I didn't mean to leave it so long between posts but casa threadhead has been visited by the pox. Poorly kidshapes :(
Anyhow they are both having a snooze so I thought I'd do a quick post. I have so much to share, have had lots of happy, crafty mail recently so expect lots of posts  over the next few days!
For starters here is an embroidery I made for a swap over on Phat Quarter the theme was spring. I had planned to do a traditional boxing hares image but then this idea occurred to me and wouldn't shift!
I used a vintage photo of bare knuckle boxers I found online to base the bodies on. I love how it turned out I think it is equal parts funny and creepy. The best thing was learning to do the shading in a woodcut/etching type style. It was very difficult to get the shading right so I'm really happy with how it looks. I wanted it to look like the sort of image you'd find in an antique book - I have stitched something similar before based on an antique book image;
Not a human/hare hybrid but still humanlike in that its action and stance - I think this probably was the inspiration for the newer one although I wasn't aware of it at the time. 

and some hare linkys I like

Enjoy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

6 comments:

  1. You just have the greatest stitching ideas, this is awesome, really really cool!!! Hope your wee ones are feeling better:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sewphie, I'm your blog swap partner over on Lakota's blog, LOVE your boxing hares, this is so up my boulevard it's not true!

    Looking forward to reading more of your posts and swapping with you.

    My blog's here if you fancy a butchers http://christeaandcakes.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just adore these boxing hares! So clever and well rendered. Geeked to see more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone!

    'hello' Christy! looking forward to having a good nosy round your blog later (glass of wine... snacks... blog, thats my Friday night all set!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, love these! You got that woodcut look just right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you